Sunday, April 29, 2012

Review on Sunscreen: Lancome and La Roche Posay

Hello! =) I've been a bit busy this weekend so I'll make it up to you guys with another post!
(I also studied more than 5 hrs in the library today, and don't want to study anymore =P)

The days are getting warmer, longer and sunnier! And so we all need to protect our skin from the sun! To prevent tanning (optional), hyperpigmentation, wrinkles, sunburns, and skin cancer! =O

Today I will be reviewing 2 products that I've used for quite some time.

First up is Lancome UV Expert GN-Shield:


This has 30mL of product and an SPF 50PA+++ (12H UV/High UVA PPD)
I'm sorry but I don't know the price, this was given to me by my mom and I have no idea how she got it. =P.
I don't think it's waterproof, it doesn't say on the bottle.
This is daily protection against UV rays and air pollution at the dermal level
Apparently (as said on the bottle), it was "Tested on Asian skin under dermatological control", I'm not sure what that means....because, it's not as if Asian skin is a skin type, like, everyone's skin is different, but maybe it's supposed to work well for Asians? O_o? I don't know haha =P

What do I think of it?
I have been using this sunscreen for about 5 months and it wasn't even full when given to me. I really like the consistency of this sunscreen. It is very thin, smooth, and light. I don't need a lot for my face. I use this to spot treat my face, I put it on my freckles, healing acne, and acne scars to prevent hyperpigmentation. I use salicylic acid in my skincare routine to prevent and help acne but it can cause hyperpigmentation so that's why I spot treat. It is not hard to put on, while it does feel and look a bit oily on the skin, the skin absorbs it quickly and leaves a nearly matte finish. The more you use of course, the more oily you are going to look, so moderation is key. As far as I know, I have not gotten breakouts from this product and it works well =) I don't need to reapply throughout the day, one time in the morning is good enough! It doesn't irritate my sensitive skin in any way as well =)

Do I recommend this product?
Yes! This product is probably expensive, being a brand name. But if you can, try to buy the smallest size, travel size, or get a sample, because it will definitely last you =) I also like the small size because it is portable! Because it is such a high SPF, I don't think you should use it everyday unless you really need it, I've heard very high SPF isn't good for the skin, so I just spot treat it, or use it when I'm snowboarding or something.

And then there is: La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid (face):


This particular container I got as a sample from CVS.
The sample size is 0.1 fluid oz or 3mL. It has SPF 60, is water-resistant, frangrance free, and has been tested on sensitive skin. It has UV + anti-oxidant protection.
It is "Ultra light sunscreen fluid, fast absorbing, matte finish, for normal to combination skin"
Active Ingredients: Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 15%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 5%, Oxybenzone 6%, and they all serve as sunscreen.

What do I think of it?
I really like this sunscreen. However, it is because it fits my taste. When they say "fluid" they are totally right. This sunscreen's consistency is so thin and watery, it is like water. I really like moisturizers and sunscreens like that, so it is a big yes! for me. It will never have an uneven texture though and because it spreads out so thinly, I barely have to use any at all to cover my entire face, and much much less for spot treatment. I used this to go snowboarding on a very sunny day, and it worked perfectly. It does has a good matte finish as it says and I was not sunburned one bit! It is very long lasting just like the Lancome one, I just put it on once for the entire day. It doesn't break me out and I can blend it on my skin with ease because it is so thin and light. Also, it doesn't bother my sensitive skin!
The only issue is that when you dispense the product, it can get a little messy, so do not squeeze the container, do not squeeze! You don't need to, it comes out easily alone. Also, with this type of container, it can leak on the inside into the cap groves because it's so watery, so make sure to cap/screw it on properly and firmly.
Do I recommend this product?
Yes!, if you like this kind of fluid consistency, if you don't then probably not. Also, yes, if you can afford it =P. But I think it works very well! I do like it a bit better than Lancome because it has a more matt finish and it is water resistant. SPF is close enough that it doesn't matter that much to me and I like both of their consistencies as well.

I'm sorry for reviewing such expensive products. I know not everyone can afford them. But I think it is important to have high quality products when it is applied directly to the skin because there is no barrier between the skin and the product, there is a higher chance of side effects from products.
I did recently buy a Neutrogena facial sunscreen for sensitive skin and I will start trying that out as soon as I finish these two and I will post a review on it as well ^_^.

So, I hope you found this useful and informative to taking care of your skin from the sun!
I will see you all later!
Byeee! XD

No comments:

Post a Comment