Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Review on NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils! =D

Hi Everyone!

I was busy last weekend with studying...=P. I studied for at least 9 hours each day since Friday for my physiology exam on Monday. And even on Monday I studied a good 5 hrs before the exam. So I was pretty tired yesterday. But, luckily it is Thanksgiving this week! While I still have work, I can sleep in now! XD

Today I will be reviewing NYX's Jumbo Eye Pencils

These pencils cost about $5. You can get them online at NYX or at Ulta.

I have 3 pencils:
-Strawberry Milk 605
-Yogurt 611
-Lavender 614

As you can see, the design of Lavender is different from the other 2 eye pencils. This is because this was one of the originals that came out before the next generation of NYX jumbo pencils were produced.

Swatches will be shown at the end of this post!

What do I think of these products?
So, I have heard about the rave about these eye pencils and how creamy, pigmented, and long lasting they are etc. And I decided to try them out! I have been using these pencils for a few months now.
This product does not irritate or harm my eyes in any way. I don't feel stinging or itchiness.
The product is very soft and creamy and glides on my eyelid or lashline without much pressure or effort. It does not pull and tug on my eyelids which is great because I won't get premature wrinkles! Also, the product is easy to blend. I like blending it in with my fingers because the warmth of my fingers will help soften and spread the product more easily.
With my shades of the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil I find the colors pretty pigmented and very shimmery. The product gives an even color when applied and blended. When light does not shine on them, I can see the color clearly. But because they are so shimmery in the light, they almost look all the same, with an undertone of their own colors. Lavender is thicker than Strawberry Milk and Yogurt and has more of an opaque finish. Yet, Lavender can be a little less smooth and more chunky.
However, I cannot apply the product onto my eyelids, because my eyelids are oily so the cream shadows crease very easily and quickly. I have to use an eye primer first before putting this product on, which is a bit annoying. Because of this, I do not use this product as a base for other eyeshadows, because they would crease as well. When I use this on my waterline, it also fades quickly.
But I really like using this on the inner corner of my eyes to brighten my eyes and on my lower lashline to make my eyes brighter and bigger. =) Using it these two ways works very well for me and the color lasts all day without smudging! ^_^
The large size of the pencil doesn't really bother me, and if I need to do some detail work. I would get a small detail brush or an eyeliner brush, dab it on the pencil, and then apply to where I need to on my eyes.

Do I recommend this product?
If you do not have oily eyelids, I recommend this as a very quick and easy way to put on eyeshadow for the day or as an eyeshadow base and if you do have oily eyelids, you probably have to use a primer before.
Overall, I really like these jumbo pencils, they are affordable, very soft and creamy, and can really make my eyes stand out. While they are not color pigmented in daylight (as in, distinguishable colors), I don't really mind because I'm looking for more shimmer than color. I recommend this as a great product to try out, especially for beginners in makeup.

Here are some swatches of my NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils:

This was done on a paper towel for you to see the colors of the eye pencils better. While you can tell the colors clearly apart from one another on the paper towel, it is harder to tell on the skin.

This is a swatch on my hand, I probably did about 3 strokes for each eye pencil and you can see that Lavender is more opaque and thick than the other 2 eye pencils. The next 2 pictures will have the swatches in the same order, as this picture, so please keep that in mind. I just felt too tired to label every picture three times. =P

 So, this swatch (right above) on my skin, away from direct light. Without direct light you can tell the colors apart and they look pretty pigmented.

And this swatch on my skin shows the colors in direct light. In direct light, they are very shimmery and reflective, so it is harder to tell the difference between the colors. Strawberry Milk and Yogurt almost look the same. If I apply a sheer layer on my eyes, I can't even tell the difference. If I apply it a little thicker, it is only a little bit more noticeable, and has more of the color undertone than showing the color pigmentation itself.


So I hope this review was helpful to you. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to write in the comment box below! =) Thank you for reading and I will be back later! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment