Friday, March 30, 2012

Steps of Applying Makeup! Part 1

First of all: there is no right or wrong way to put makeup on in a certain order. There are easier ways or ways that prevent mistakes better, but there is no wrong way.

Second: Please keep in mind, this post is about what I do and what I have seen people do. You don't have to listen to me. This is just for your information.

Here is a list of everything you can possibly put on your face:

moisturizer
facial primer, eye primer
foundation, concealer, finishing powder
eyeshadow
eyeliner
mascara
eyebrow powder, eyebrow gel/wax
blush
bronzer
highlighter
lipstick, lipgloss
stay-in makeup spray

Now, do you need everything? The answer is no.

How do I know what I need? The answer is: your tastes, your skin type, the type of event, the weather, and your facial features.
I will get to all of them in later posts, but first, I will talk about the order of applying makeup!

Okay, in Part 1 I will talk about conflicts in applying what first:
which to generally apply first, foundation or concealer?
That does not matter that much. It is up to your preference.
Personally, I like to put on concealer first and then foundation (if I have to), because I think of foundation as evening out the skin tone and making it balanced.
Putting on foundation and then concealer might cause the skin to not look as smooth or appear to have patches of different colors if the concealer and foundation are not blended well.
Also, I like to put concealer on first, because I can see what I can conceal. If I put foundation on first, at first it looks like nothing needs to be concealed or less needs to be concealed. And then I find out later, when looking closer in a mirror that I missed some spots.
Therefore, for beginners I recommend putting concealer on first, and then foundation.( but really if you are younger than 30 years old, please try not to use foundation unless you have to, especially for those teens because your skin is still growing, don't let makeup chemicals ruin your skin!)

Alright, next! which to apply first, foundation/concealer or eye makeup?
I have seen a lot of people first put on their foundation/concealer first and then their eye makeup.
But I have seen the professionals (at Sephora and other places) put on eye makeup first, before anything else. Why? Because eyemakeup can have fallouts onto the cheeks or under the eyes, even if you tap the brush. A lot of professional makeup artists will do the eye makeup, clean up fall out with some eye makeup remover, put on facial moisturizer, and then start with the foundation/concealer steps.
And when I think about it, this makes a lot of sense. Because if you apply foundation/concealer first and your doing your eye makeup, and it falls, when  you try to remove it, it can smear and smudge not only the eye makeup fallout, but also ruin the foundation and concealer.
So if you are the kind of person who knows that eyeshadow fallout will happen for your or your eyeshadow is very powdery and loose, you might want to try this way.
Well, how about the other way? foundation/concealer and then eye makeup?
I actually do it this way when I am using concealer and foundation. I think it's because it's a habit haha XP
I don't use a lot of eyeshadow on my eyes and when I do get fallout, I get a light and fluffy fan brush and gently gently dust off the fall out. And I am fallout free! XD
So with that, you can choose which way is easier for you!

and.....that's all I can think of in possible questions or conflicts of what to apply before the other. If you have questions please comment! or if I think ofothers I will definitely edit and add to this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment