Monday, October 27, 2014

Review on Biore Sarasara Uv Aqua Rich Waterly Essence Sunscreen 50g Spf 50+ Pa+++ for Face and Body

Hi Everyone!

Long time no see/talk. =P Sorry, I had exams and needed to focus, but I finished them today and so I have a bit of time before my next exam in 3 weeks! yay....haha,...no, not fun actually =P

Today I'm reviewing Biore Sarasara Uv Aqua Rich Waterly Essence Sunscreen 50g Spf 50+ Pa+++ for Face and Body
For anyone who can read Japanese. =P
This is 50 grams of product for about $10. It is a water-based sunscreen.

What do I think of this product?
So I finished my Anessa sunscreen and started using my Chanel sunscreen. I like having 2 sunscreens at all times, just in case I need to bring one out to go, on a short trip, etc.
I like really light-weight, easy to apply sunscreens and I saw this on Amazon (for free shipping!) with great reviews.
I have used this product for over a month and hmm...overall I really like it and I use it everyday, but, there are some limitations. It does have a light scent, I personally don't think it's floral (but, it says it is), and I can't describe it, but it is very very faint. The product also doesn't irritate my skin, or even the skin around my eyes.
So, because it is water-based, this is a very smooth, light-weight product with a water-like texture that makes it very easy to apply and spread onto the skin. You also don't need to use a lot because it can spread out so thinly. It also feels light-weight, non-sticky, and looks much less oily for a longer period of time than waterproof sunscreen. And yes, it is less sticky and oily feeling and looking than the Anessa or Chanel sunscreens. (But overall, they are still very good suncreens).
But the problem is, that because it is water-based, if you get wet or sweat a lot, it's going to come off quickly and easily. So I wouldn't use this if it's raining heavily and I know I'm going to get wet. Also, would not use this at the pool or at the beach if I'm swimming or in hot weather when I'm sweating a lot or in humid weather because the water in the air will just make this melt off my face.
Also, because it is water-based, if you wear an oil-based, or highly-emollient moisturizer, serum, facial cream before putting this on, it won't stay on as well, and sometimes might start solidifying/polymerizing and just sheds off. For instance, if you use the Aveeno Baby moisturizer, and then put this on, as you are spreading the sunscreen on your face, it just starts becoming solid, and becomes these little soft balls, and then you need to wash your face to get rid of the little white stuff on your face.
So if you like using oils or heavy creams, this product probably won't work well with them. I can use my hyaluronic acid serums before applying this sunscreen and my aloe vera gel underneath this as well. This makes a lot of sense because these products are polar, aloe vera is mostly made up of water (which is polar) and hyaluronic acid is highly negatively charged (it has a charge, so it's polar, so it can make weak polar, or dipole, or hydrogen bonds with the water components in the sunscreen. However, heavy creams or oil-based creams are non-polar, and like dissolves like okay, so non-polar doesn't mix well with polar. Sorry, went on a chemistry lesson here. =P
So pro's, very light-weight, a little goes a long way, not greasy or oily in touch and appearance. Con's can't use it if you're going to get wet or will sweat a lot and can't use it with heavy creams or oil serums.

Do I recommend this product?
This kind of depends on your preferences and what you need. If you tend to have more oily skin, you might like this because it is so lightweight and non-greasy and I highly recommend this product overall. Just be aware of the drawbacks and maybe having to compromise with a more water-based moisturizer or something.
Note: If you are wondering why this will stay on people with oily skin, my hypothesis is that you not only produce oil from your skin but will produce other substances that are polar. Also, this product isn't 100% water based, it still has some oil components in it, so it will work with other products of varying levels of non-polar structures/bonds. If you put this in a cup of water, you can't see that it won't dissolve completely. You just need to find out which combination works the best. So if you use light moiturizers, well, they are going work better with this sunscreen than heavy moisturizers that have a great ratio of non-polar to polar molecules.
Also, let's learn so more science and explain why it would slip off more easily when your face gets wet. (This is just my hypothesis okay, not proven) Let's say you use a moisturizer that works with this sunscreen and it's going to have a good enough intermolecular strength to bind to the moisturizer and not solidify. But, it's not going to be that strong of binding strength just because all moisturizers have a good amount of nonpolar molecules. And when water comes into contact with your skin, it's going to very easily pull away the polar bonds of the sunscreen that are bound to the moisturizer because water is much more polar than the moisturizer and will have a stronger attractive force. Hence, it slides off your face.
If that just made you really confused, then don't worry about it, and just refer to what I said previously. =P Sorry for the confusion.

So I hope that you found this review helpful and not too overly informative. Feel free to comment or ask questions in the comment box below! Thanks for reading and I will see you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment