Saturday, October 11, 2014

Review on the Lorac Skinny Palette ^_^

Hi Everyone!

It's a 3 day weekend for some of us, yay!

Today I'm reviewing the Lorac Skinny Palette!
yes, that's my cell phone, and no I do not like hello kitty, the case was a gift
This product costs $15! It was sold on Nordstrom first and was sold out very quickly. I got this palette on Amazon with Amazon Prime, so free 2 day shipping!

What do I think of this product?
I first saw this palette on Fromheadtotoe or Jen's Youtube channel, she raved about this product and I wanted to get it. Unfortunately, it was sold out and had a huge wait list, so I kind of gave up, and was like meh, it's okay.
When the Naked Basics 2 palette came out, I was seriously considering to get it. I don't have a lot of matte eye shadows, and as a now older person who goes to graduate school I meet patients, doctors, professors, etc. and it's not that appropriate to wear glittery and  shiny things on my eye. I also prefer a softer shimmer and more matte colors as I age, because they look more natural. =)
But, then I thought about the Lorac Skinny and checked to see if it was available and yes it was, on Amazon! I chose the Lorac over the Naked mainly because of the price and because in my research, it does not seem like the Naked Basics 2 palette would work well with my skin tone. (Though I have yet to go to a Sephora store to check it out, so I may take that back once I do, we'll see haha)

So, overall, great product and I love it!
The palette is very slim, it's 1 cm in thickness, 14cm in length and 6.2cm in width. It is very light, slim, and portable. I also really like the mirror. I usually don't like mirrors on smaller palettes just because I find them unusable or difficult to use, but this one is big enough for my to use as I apply makeup, so that's great! It has a magnetic closure which has a good amount of strength. It might not survive a fall but in a purse or a bag, it won't accidentally open and spill product.

It has 7 colors, all of them warm toned. From left to right:
-matte very pale bone-pink color
-shimmery gold-copper color
-matte orange-tan color, kind of like a classic Spanish terra cotta tile color
-matte medium brown color
-shimmery orange-copper color
- soft shimmery green-brown olive color
-soft shimmery dark reddish brown color

I think all of the colors are beautiful, with great pigmentation. I have no problem applying them or building up layers of color. Though the matte medium brown shade is a little chalky, but again, I don't have problems with it (that was something I notice when I was doing swatches).

Personally I think that because these colors are on the darker and warmer side, they look best in the fall and winter. They can really give your eyes some depth and warmth without looking too dark and dramatic. I like using this for everyday light smokey eyes, but if I want to be more natural, I can just stick with light layers of the matte shades. The shimmer is not too strong, but you can definitely build it up and it will become very strong.
The colors I use the most are all of them except for the lightest and darkest colors at opposite ends of the palette. Being Asian with a darker undertone, the matte highlight color is too light for me. And because I use this for everyday looks, the darkest shade is too dark for day use, but would fair better for night event such as parties, bars, clubs, nice dinners, etc.

Here are some swatches:
(I know that my palette pictures look different than my swatches, the colors look more cool-tone in the palette photos, it's just an issue of lighting. Sorry. =( If you want a more accurate idea of the colors, I say go with the swatches.)
please use this photo as a reference for direction, I will always be referring the colors from the lightest to the darkest, so, from left to right, thanks

top to bottom, in

top to bottom, in direct light
left to right, in indirect light
left to right, in direct light
Do I recommend this product?
If you don't have anything similar, I recommend this palette. I think this is a great investment if you are looking for a light and portable palette, with a mix of shimmery and matte for everyday wear. It is also very affordable! (that's the best part haha).
This is not a must have item, but I highly recommend this for those of you who are new to makeup or don't have something like this and want to save money.

So I hope this was helpful to you! I'm not sure if I'm getting the Naked Basics 2 palette, still hovering on the price, and it's not like I really need it. =P So unless my visit to Sephora really blows me out of the water, then for now, no, I won't get it.
Thanks so much for reading! Feel free to ask any questions or say anything in the comment box below. See you later =)

No comments:

Post a Comment