Sunday, September 7, 2014

Review on "The Body Shop" Ginger Scalp Care Shampoo!

Hi Everyone!

Today I am reviewing "The Body Shop" Ginger Scalp Care Shampoo
This product costs $10 (though is currently on sale for $6) and contains 13.5 fluid oz or 400mL of product. It is said to:
Stop flakes and soothe your scalp using a gentle, yet effective shampoo with refreshing ginger for healthy, more manageable locks.
  • Ginger root, birch bark, white willow and oak moss, known for their astringent properties, help to promote a healthy scalp.
  • Community Trade organic honey moisturizes and conditions hair and adds shine.
  • Panthenol nourishes and strengthens hair, reducing breakage and split ends.product
What do I think of this product?
So I have used Head and Shoulders for many years, I think ever since I hit puberty around 13 or so, so like 10 years O_O, I started to use Head and Shoulders and it worked very well for me, stopping itchiness, dandruff, and oil buildup in my hair. For some reason, it has not worked for me after I moved to the East Coast and leaves an oily film/residue in my hair. I have written a more detailed explanation at the end of this post. Don't want to make you read a ton of crap on my personal thoughts of why I think it stopped working for me. =P
So, I decided to try this shampoo out, it has many positive reviews and I do like The Body Shop so why not?
This is such a lovely product (let's be British! lol jk, but seriously, it's awesome). It has a sort of sweet ginger scent, not the well known spicy ginger smell or taste than many people know. I like ginger, I use it in my cooking and drink it in my tea, so I like it. If you are not a fan of ginger, this might not be for you, but it is a mild and much sweeter scent, and not that sharp.
It does not irritate my scalp and helps sooth my itchy and sensitive skin! Most of all, it does not leave a disgusting oily residue on my head and my hair is once again soft and fluffy ^_^. As for dandruff, I'm not sure if I have a dandruff problem anymore actually. XP I did have it when I hit puberty, but I got so accustomed to using anti-dandruff products, that I just kept on using them without stopping to see if I had too much dandruff or not. Nevertheless, dandruff will build up over time, during the day, and each day when I don't shower (hence, I shower everyday), so I think it helps with dandruff. As for severe dandruff, I am not an expert on that, but you are welcome to try it! There are also many positive reviews on its anti-dandruff properties online, so it's probably decently effective. (no guarantees though, lol)
I am just so glad that I do not have any residue in my hair and my hair feels wonderful, soft, non-oily, and clean again!!

Personal thoughts on why Head and Shoulders doesn't work for me anymore?
I say "anymore?" because I'm not sure if it was that particular version of the shampoo that caused the oily residue. Perhaps another version of Head and Shoulders is fine, I don't know. Won't try until I run out of this new one haha.

1) I have heard that Head and Shoulders has a new formula. Perhaps this formula does not work well with my hairtype/scalp, or if it tends to leave an oily residue.
2) I used a combo shampoo and conditioner Head and Shoulders as my shampoo, and perhaps the conditioner part of it was too oily/moisturizing for my scalp and caused oiliness. Though I'm not sure about this, because I have used combo shampoo/conditioner Head and Shoulders before without a problem.
4) I have heard that shampoos with silicone in them tend to leave an oily residue, especially hair products with softening and moisturizing properties. I did look at the ingredients and the Head and Shoulders I used did have more silicone-based products than The Body Shop one.
5) Perhaps the much hotter and humid weather has affected my hair and/or scalp, or how my hair/scalp works with the shampoo. Maybe because it is so wet here (compared to a very dry [and now drought-ridden] California), I don't need as much moisturizing benefits for my hair/scalp as before. (Though my skin seems to be fine with the same hydrating products that I used in California).

Whatever the reason, the best recommendation is to usually change and switch up shampoos. After I finish the Ginger shampoo I will try the Head and Shoulders again. I have also reordered my Jojoba Hair Shampoo and will use it interchangeably with my Head and Shoulders. I hope that will work out, because...I have half a bottle and another full body of Head and Shoulders combo shampoo/conditioner and I don't want to waste them.....T_T. If they really don't work, I'll try the Head and Shoulders shampoo only and see how that goes!

Do I recommend this product?
If you have been having issues with itchy sensitive scalp with or without dandruff, I highly recommend this product! There are 2 volume sizes, so if you want to just try it, you can go for the smaller and cheaper size. This is also great if you are having problems with your old shampoo like me and want to switch things up!

Thank you for reading! If you have any questions or comments, feel free to write in the comment box below! I will see you later!

A note for my readers:
I hope you are doing well. =) I'm sorry for not keeping in touch with you and I am working on that!
I have so little free time, that when I do get it, I try to spend time with my friends and extended family in order to stay sane. =P Or go to gym, and do something productive and healthy for myself.

My skincare and makeup routine has become very basic now. I don't use masks and serums that often and stick with a good cleanser, regular gentle exfoliation, acne spot treatment and always sunscreen. My makeup was already pretty simple (no foundation, no concealer, no bronzer, no blush, no lip color....lol) But now I don't put on make up on weekends, I think of it as a break for my skin as well as an extra 10 minutes of sleep!

As for my fashionYoutube videos, I will go on hiatus until I graduate for my program. Yes, I know that may be disappointing but I need to make sacrifices if I want to go to medical school. =P Filming, taking pictures, and editing take a lot of time and I don't have that kind of time anymore. Once you get to professional/grad school, you will understand/feel my pain too. XP

Thank you so much for staying with me and understanding me. I am glad that you like my reviews and find them helpful! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment